HOW TO CHOOSE A DOMAIN NAME
Your domain name is an extremely important aspect of your website. It can help you with marketing and it is a factor in how every visitor of your site perceives your brand. Your domain name is often the first thing your people learn about your site and therefore, there is every need to ensure that your domain name portrays a good first impression on them.
HERE ARE THINGS YOU NEED TO DO
- Length of your domain – the shorter the domain, the better. This will make your domain name memorable. If possible, 8 characters or less could be better.
- Your domain should contain your main keyword(s) but you can consider branded one.
- I highly recommend a .com or a .net because of SEO. I always recommend the .com as the best choice because of convention and expectations online.
- Consider using a domain name that is simple to spell.
- The domain name should also be the one that is easy to pronounce.
WHAT YOU SHOULD NOT DO WHEN CHOOSING A DOMAIN NAME
- Make sure your domain name does not violate trademarks of other companies. For instance, you should avoid a domain name like cocacoler.com, twitterer.com etc
- Do not make your domain name(s) too long to match the exact search phrase.
- Avoid using a hyphen/dashes or numbers in your domain name for example online-biz.com.
- Avoid the .info, .biz or .org names.
Getting it wrong should not be your BIG worry though you should always be careful. I say this because there is a fix to bad domain name – this is something called 301 redirect. You can buy a better domain name and redirect your existing site to render under the new domain name.
HOW DO YOU REALLY CHOOSE YOUR DOMAIN NAME
If you are living in Miami in Florida and you are at the same time dealing with cleaning services, I would recommend you go for miamicleaners.com. The only problem is that when I checked it, I found it was already taken. An alternative reasonable route would be to change the name to orlandoresidentialcleaners.com which is available at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, it sounds a lot more awkward than just orlandocleaners.com and most potential customers might confuse the order of the words in the domain name. Once this happen, then they will never come back to your site anymore simply because they forgot the domain name.
WHY USE A .COM vs. OTHER DOMAINS
Since it’s difficult to get a high quality and affordable .com domain name, most people have decided to take another route to other kinds of domain names ending with something other than .com. It is not a sin using such domain names as they are acceptable like any other domain. The only problem is that most of your potential visitors and people who are not in the technology space have still not caught on these. The will therefore, not find it easy to remember as the .com domains. Furthermore, these domain names are slightly more expensive than the traditional .com domain names.
Another important thing you should think about when choosing a domain name is how you will market your site.You should consider including your main search keyword in your domain if your type of your business is the one that people search for such as cleaning, gardening or other kind of service. You will consider having a domain name like miamiclears.com, miamigardening.com chrisroofing.com.
You might consider having a more abstract domain name if your business will rely on brand marketing.
RANKING FOR A PARTICULAR REGION/COUNTRY
If you are going to make a site and you want to rank your domain for certain countries, for instance, you are going to make a site specifically for Kenya, then you would consider getting a Ke domain extension (.co.ke), and if you are targeting UK then the UK domain extension (.co.uk) would work best. This will actually offer greater value and focus to a UK audience and will be a plus in google.co.uk ranking.
If your site is going for worldwide, then .com or .net is the best. You can get your domain name from Godaddy at Godaddy.com. You can also get yours at $1 by using my coupon from Godaddy.
Go ahead and register your domain name at Godaddy at http://Godaddy.com